The local coffee shop holds a special place in the heart and mind of pretty much every coffee lover. The aromas, the chatter, the delicious barista-style coffee- you really can’t beat it!
…Or can you?
With the rise in accessibility to good quality “at-home” brewing tools and the availability of coffee delivery services, there are now more options than ever before to make a quality cup of coffee at home.
If you’re missing your daily coffee ritual, we’ve put together our top tips to recreate those coffee shop vibes from the comfort of your own home!
Before we get started, let us share some reasons why your home could be the latest coffee hot spot!
- You can tweak the flavour and strength to just how you like it
- Your favourite mug gets some extra love and attention
- Free refills at any time of the day
- No side-eye judgement on that extra dash of milk or sugar
- Coffee in your pyjamas just tastes better. Fact.
Benefits Of Brewing At Home
How To Master A Barista-Worthy Brew
If you’re itching for a properly brewed cup of joe, here’s what you’ll need:
1. The Coffee
Starting with the right coffee beans is vital.
At Bean Delivered, we offer both ground and whole bean options sourced from some of the best local coffee roasters in Ireland. If you want to keep your coffee fresher for longer, we recommend choosing whole beans over ground. It also allows you to customise the grind for the specific cup of coffee you’re making.
2. The Tools
It’s never been easier, or more affordable, to craft up cafe-quality coffee at home. And it starts with the right tools.
No matter your tool of choice, we’ve created a step by step guide to nail the perfect cup each time.
The French Press
Coffee Grind: Coarse as sea salt
Coffee Amount: 18g per cup Water: 280g
Brew Time: 4 minutes
How to use:
- Add ground coffee using a ratio of 1 tbsp of ground coffee to 120ml of water.
- Add enough boiled water to cover the coffee, stir to mix well and remove any dry clumps and allow to bloom.
- Add the rest of your water and stir again.
- Place the lid and filter on top of the press and steep 90 for between 3 to 4 minutes depending on your desired flavour.
- Press the filter down with a firm, yet slow motion stopping just before you hit the bed of coffee.
Coffee Grind: Fine as flour Coffee Amount: 12g per cup Water: 225g
Brew Time: 1 min 30 seconds
How to use:
- Insert a filter into the cap of the aeropress and rinse with hot water for 5 seconds. Discard the rinse water.
- Place the press on a scale and add your ground coffee. Generally we add enough coffee to hit that ‘1’ mark.
- Add hot water up to the ‘2’ chamber.
- Stir gently for 10 seconds to break up any dry clumps of coffee.
- Place the top on aeropress, position it on top of your brew vessel and apply downward pressure.
- Continue for about 20 seconds or until you hear a hissing sound.
- Remove the cap and discard the filter and grounds.
This should get you a great espresso! You add more water to make an Americano or hot milk for a latte at this point too.
Coffee Grind: Fine as sand Coffee Amount: 15g per cup Water: 280g
Brew Time: 3 minutes
How to use:
- Fold your paper filter along the seam into a cone and place into V60
- Rinse filter with hot water and discard the excess.
- Place coffee into cone and gently shake flat
- Put V60 & cup onto the scale and set the timer.
- Pour in approx 50g of hot water, covering all the coffee until it blooms.
- Continue adding water gradually in a steady spiral to the coffee bed.
- Finish at 3 minutes.
It’s All In The Ambience
You may not be able to replicate those impromptu conversations in the queue or the friendly rapport with your favourite barista but there are a few things you can do to bring the coffee shop vibes to your home.
- Create your own coffee shop playlist! A quick search on Spotify will deliver some seriously chilled tunes to enjoy alongside your morning cup.
- Assign a designated coffee drinking nook complete with a comfy chair and your favourite newspaper or magazine.
- Coffee at home doesn’t have to be solo. Schedule a virtual coffee date with a friend or family member.
We’d love to know- what are you enjoying most about your at-home coffee experience? Leave us a comment below!
If you enjoyed this blog, why not check out some of our other similar posts such as:
- 3 Easy Tips To Make Your Coffee-Drinking Habit More Sustainable
- In Conversation with P.S Coffee Roasters
- In Conversation with Carrow Coffee Roasters
Follow us on social for more! @beandelivered